Friday, 20 January 2012

LIBE 467 Lesson 3 - Building a Reference Collection for you School Library


Discussion: Riedling's approach
I found it a relief that I wasn't off track.  Most of my classmates didn't find any problems with Riedling's approach.  Sometimes I'm insecure about my responses, because I lack the TL experience that many of my classmates have.  It's been a while since I've been a student and I'm still adjusting to that mindset.
          I agree with Harjeet U., it would have been a nice addition to provide some examples.  Reflecting on lesson 2, one of the expected competencies of a TL is (#3) "competence in selecting, acquiring and evaluating resources to meet students' needs" was one of the areas I wanted to improve on.  It would have been a great help for me if Riedling included some examples.  I wonder if there's an equivalent list for Canadian resources?

Discussion: Reference materials
I noticed most of my classmates had similar responses about their library standards.  Most of their school library were barely meeting the acceptable level.  Also, many found outdated resources in their libraries.  It is sometimes hard to weed out old resources.  As Tammie C. said "least an outdated set of atlases is better than no atlases". 

Activity: Ministry evaluation criteria
         In comparison to Riedling’s evaluation criteria and the BC Ministry evaluation criteria, the BC Ministry criteria is more specific and covers more facets of the resource.  The Ministry has divided the evaluation into categories that address content, instructional design, technical design, and social considerations, as well as, specific evaluations for different mediums.  They have an extensive list for audience based considerations.  They look at social aspects, like gender equality, multiculturalism, and aboriginal education, and consider students with special needs, like ESL, intellectual difficulties, learning difficulties, language difficulties, visual or hearing impairments and gifted.  Furthermore, since it’s a Canadian publication, they include a Francophone section.
         I really like how the BC Ministry included a checklist form for each medium.  By checking off each criterion it makes the evaluation process easier and faster.  I would use these checklists when considering library material purchases.

1 comment:

  1. Just make sure that the criteria documents from Ministries are current - problem today is the technology is faster than the committees that create the documents!

    ReplyDelete