Thursday, 12 January 2012

LIBE 467 Lesson 2 - The Reference Process and Information Skills

Reflection: Qualities of a TL that support a successful reference service
I think in an ideal world with proper funding they could be reasonable expectations.  With lack of funding and reduced TL hours, I think it’s difficult to expect to fulfill all the expectations.  Instead of thinking it as a checklist list, I see the expectation list as a list of goals.  I might not complete all of them today, but I will try and if I don’t complete today; I can try again tomorrow.
          There are ways to improve in these 6 expectations.  For expectation #1, I don’t think it’s a hard task to complete but requires lots of time and effort.  For expectation #2, like #1 it requires time and effort, as well as, practice.  There are workshops and courses to take improve communication skills.  For expectation #3, #5 and #6, require researching on the topic, attending professional development workshops and/or taking courses to improve.  For expectation #5, I’m not sure if there is anything you can do besides staying positive and not let the frustrations get to you.  The expectations I think I’m deficient in are #3 and #4.  I hope this class and textbook can give me more insight and knowledge into these areas.

Activity: Information literacy in regards to reference materials and reference service
          Information literacy is application to all forms of information, regardless if it is ‘reference’ material or not and I think it should be dealt in the same way as other sources.

Reflection: Promoting the Information Skills Framework
The “Information Skills Framework” list 8 learning outcomes that allow for the development of information literacy skills. I think there is a need to promote the “Information Skills Framework” in the school.  We should keep the framework in mind when creating or collaborating on lessons for information literacy.  To promote it at the school, you can give copies to all teachers, post the outcomes in the library office or library computer area.  Through this promoting, hopefully it raises more interest in collaborating with the TL to reach these outcomes.

Discussion: Research models
           It was interesting comparing my response with my classmates.  Some of us noticed the same similarities and differences, while others noticed things that I didn't pick up.  As Karen R. suggested, I didn't notice the emotional aspects in the Informational Seeking model.  I appreciate her pointing that out, or I would have missed it.  In one of the post, Brenda P. brought up resource based learning and project based learning.  I had been confused about that too and I glad to know that they are old terms for collaborative teaching.

1 comment:

  1. I have often said that being a TL is one of those jobs where having a few extra rings on your trunk really helps. The learning is entirely incremental and to be truthful - there's a lot to know.

    Be wary of overdoing the reflection aspect of research models. It's beneficial but kids really do tire of being asked what they think of "process".

    ReplyDelete