Thursday, 29 March 2012

LIBE 467 Lesson 12 - Managing the References Collection

Reflection: Role Description of a Teacher Librarian
Since I don’t have my own library or school, I can’t say if the role description is indicative of the teacher librarian role at my school.  From my experience as a TOC, I know that not all positions have scheduled time to plan collaboratively and cooperatively with classroom teachers.  The teacher librarian I have substituted for only has prep time and if she would like to collaborate with teachers, it would need to be done on her own personal time.  I think the learning resource management is the most essential, followed by leadership in resource-based learning, then closely behind with program and instruction.  Ideally, we would want to fulfill all the responsibilities, but are limited by budget and time.  Without adequate time or money, collaborating with teachers, supporting the integration of instructional technology and media literacy, and developing the potential of volunteer is quite challenging.  Trying to fulfill ALL the responsibilities can be overwhelming.  To lessen the stress, I imagine these responsibilities as goals; we’re trying to strive towards them.  We might not finish them all in a week or month, but hopefully by the end of the year we have met our goals.

Reflection: Budget Process
The Coquitlam school district uses a formula when calculating school library budgets.  There is a flat site amount (depends on if it is an elementary, middle or high school) and then an amount per enrolling student at the school.  The school principle has the authority to adjust the final budget amount.  For additional funds, the teacher librarian can hold book fairs or fundraisers to supplement his/her school library budget.  The school PAC can also be helpful in supplying money for library equipment.  I’m not sure how much money is allotted specifically for the reference material.  The teacher librarian I asked was unsure.

1 comment:

  1. Usually, the TL does the allotment depending on need at any given time. Some of my colleagues used to use a rota for regular replacement of the expensive stuff -- but then you have to be able to depend on getting a regular and reasonable budget.....and there's very few schools I've worked in that were reliable on that front. It's way too easy to red line library spending.

    ReplyDelete