Tuesday, 30 October 2012

LIBE 465 Lesson 8: Subject Cataloguing

Activity: 
http://delicious.com/sandy_s

I made a short list of chocolate recipes.

I have used delicious before to search for teaching tools but this was my first time registering and creating bookmarks.  I didn’t realize how easy and simple it was to use the program.  My mind raced with the many possibilities and applications I could use.  As an organizer, delicious would be the perfect platform to store and retrieve my favourite websites.  I won’t have to rely on my notepad for my various useful websites list. 

But back to the activity…I reflected on the attributes I liked and disliked about the program.

Likes:
It was extremely easy to add, delete, change and edit my links, including its title, description and tags.  A picture would automatically be imported from the website when the link is posted.  I could personalize all the information however I want.  I could leave notes and tags that are only meaningful to me.  There is a search function where you can search through all the links listed.  There is the ability to see other bookmarks that have the same link you have saved.  You can share and expand your own list by looking at other’s bookmarks.  I liked the option to make bookmarks private or public depending on if you want to share your information.

Dislikes:
The bookmarks are compiled in 1 list.  There is no option of making multiple bookmarks with different categories or headings.  Everything is lumped together into 1 giant list.  Bookmark sharing can be 1 of 2 things, sharing or no sharing.  I would like to see the choice of providing the bookmarks but only those people you want to share it with.  The website would create an account specific address for sharing.  So you would be able to give the exact address to a friend and as long as they have the address they can access your bookmarks.  Otherwise if you don’t have the exact address you don’t gain access to the bookmarks.  On another issue, because there is no consist tagging system, searching through all of delicious’ bookmarks can be problematic because of the personalized tags.  I found instances of incorrect spelling and tagging.  Furthermore, personalize tags are reflective of an individual’s definition and vocabulary.  I might think something is cake, while another person might consider it a sweet loaf/bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment